Monday, July 12, 2010

woowoot

I finished my weekly essay by midnight, and now I refuse to do anymore work until the morning...but China breeds insomniacs, so here I am, writing in my blog.

This weekend was fun. Friday night Amy and I went with a classmate to Sanlitun to meet up with a guy from Ole Miss who is studying at Beiyu. We ate Mexican food, and I must admit that it wasn't bad, and the margaritas were strong. Getting to Sanlitun, however, was one of the most ridiculous experiences of my life. It was rush hour. It was pouring down rain. We waited over half an hour for a cab, and then we finally gave in to a rickshaw driver's pleading. Rush hour in one of the world's largest/most chaotic cities+pouring rain+rickshaw= awesome. Our driver would not stop trying to convince us that, although he's just a rickshaw driver in Beijing, that he is very knowledgeable of the world around him. We discussed Lee Kuan Yew's policies in Singapore as well as the prospect of me potentially marrying the driver's 26 year old son. By the time we got to Sanlitun, we were drenched, and more or less shunned by people working in the clothing stores nearby.

Our trip home wasn't anywhere near as exciting as our rickshaw encounter, and I pretty much crashed immediately upon returning to the dorms. I have begun a new tradition, though! I sleep until four o'clock in the afternoon every Saturday, apparently. So there was my Saturday, and then Sunday I met up with DAVID BU!!!!! We hadn't seen each other since the day we graduated from high school, but we somehow managed to meet up in Beijing two years later? Strange things happen in this country.

Anywho, my one-on-one class is slowly becoming less and less awkward. The subject matter has switched from ugly people getting plastic surgery to international relations and history etc... (at least in my debate class)-needless to say, I'm pleased. Tomorrow's lesson, however, is about blood testing children to see if your wife had an extramarital affair. Almost as entertaining as the lesson that taught me that Taiwanese people "ignore gangsters ruining their surroundings until not even the chickens and dogs are left alone, and that this situation gives the book's author a feeling of nausea." Also, apparently Taiwanese women are ignoring the pollution in their area because they are all "stupidly dreaming of the day that their unborn child will graduate from college." As a result (according to the book), "Taiwan's numerous brainless fetuses will be (literally) blind sacrifices." Ridiculously morbid/overly political textbooks were made for me, or at least it feels that way.

Unfortunately, I don't have any new pictures to post, as I've been studying or sleeping continuously since my last post. I'm lucky to be able to bother Richard and/or Cooper anytime I need help with essays or something along those lines.

I should go to sleep, but first: I had dairy queen today, and it was glorious. (especially considering the fact that I can't get dairy queen in my hometown)

Wish me luck debating the morality of blood testing your children to find out whether or not your spouse has been lying to you!

3 comments:

  1. Now I really understand why my Taiwanese friend from my program in Angers was so sensitive when people referred to him as Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. made my day luo liya. i read the last three posts too (had to catch up sorry). "china breeds insomniacs" so true. hope you're having fun with david no. 88 pengerz

    ReplyDelete