Monday, October 18, 2010

Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs

I've been feeling a bit off lately, so I decided (with the encouragement of Matthew) to try out traditional Chinese medicine. After discussing my symptoms with the doctor, she stared at my tongue and took my pulse like five times. She then wrote out the longest prescription I have ever seen. The product of this prescription was nine little bags of bitter, brown liquid. I am to drink one bag after every meal for the next three days.

After she wrote the prescription, we began the process of acupuncture. I was freaking out, but after a few minutes, there were 14 needles sticking out of various places in my body. It really hurt when she put the needles between my big toe and the toe next to it as well as between my thumbs and fingers. They stopped hurting almost immediately though. I was also pretty creeped out by the needles in my elbows. After 25 minutes, she took the needles out and gave me instructions for drinking my herbs. I have to put the bag in boiling water before I drink it.

Results? I'm sleeping better. I went into my second acupuncture appointment today, meaning I currently have 28 holes in my skin. I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Side note: I had the most awesome cab driver today! We talked about French colonialists in Kunming and in Louisiana for like thirty minutes!

Love y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Going to stick with it? Sounds like a corny joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto.

    "I was on pins and needles before my first acupuncture visit."

    "'Only drink this after you've boiled it!' the doctor said sharply."

    罗丽雅,我想念你。

    ReplyDelete