Wednesday, June 30, 2010

La Vie Quotidienne

I am getting used to my daily life here. School is SO much work, but I enjoy it. My favorite class is my 9:00: it's just four of us and a teacher. In my opinion, it's the most relaxed/helpful. I despise 单班课- my one-on-one class. My teachers (they change every day) smile and stare at you with the expectation that you can recite the entire lesson of the day, aka you have to remember ridiculous sentences like "This kind of fool, in order to protect his innocence from pollution, will, without hesitation, light a fire to burn his inherited mansion." Considering that I screw up the tones for things like 我 and 现在, one can imagine that this hour is 难堪死了. Also, I need to find a word in Chinese that means introverted but doesn't have an especially negative connotation, otherwise my teachers will just think that I'm a misanthrope.

Basically, I work my ass off everyday and subsequently have my ass kicked by my teachers. As far as grades are concerned, however, I've been pleasantly surprised. I am really enjoying it here so far. My first test is tomorrow; wish me luck!

-Megan

Shout out to my flagship 同学们:We know more chengyus than anybody in the world. Fo realz. I feel like my teachers are going to die of excitement/surprise every time I use one. Our lin laoshis should be super proud. (I, on the other hand, feel like a creepily eccentric old man.)

3 comments: