Thursday, June 24, 2010

School




Sorry it's been so long. I have the worst internet connection in my new dorm, and I have to buy an ethernet cord. Despite shitty internet, however, my dorm is wonderful! Check out my desk and my REAL shower! (It's almost worthy of multiple exclamation points). We even have a maid service every other day. I gave my maid a box of chocolates from America to apologize in advance for any mess I make :)
My roommate is great. She is from North Carolina and goes to Yale. She's Taiwanese though...so she already speaks Chinese with her parents all the time. It's a bit intimidating. I've met a bunch of the other students, and I can already see that the state school kids (Amy, myself, and the kids from ASU and Indiana) get along quite nicely and have similar Chinese backgrounds. I took a diagnostic essay test this morning, and I had a twenty minute diagnostic interview in Chinese right before lunch. Things seemed to have gone well. I find out which level I will be in later this afternoon. (Apparently the highest level has on average 200 vocab words per day eeek). I'm looking forward to being productive though. Language pledge starts tomorrow at noon!

As far as this area of Beijing goes, I am totally ignorant. Cab drivers certainly have NO idea how to get to my dorm. I imagine tonight will be an adventure. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with Evan and Jessica sometime soon as well.

I'll update when things get more exciting. City tour etc... tomorrow. Beginnings are always so awkward.

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment