Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hejing Guzhen (黑井古镇)

This weekend my roommate, Alyssa, Alyssa's roommate, and I took a train to the old "salt city" Heijing Guzhen, three and a half hours north of Kunming. It is one of the quietest, most beautiful places I have ever been. Also, the train tickets were 29 kuai (aka $4.25)!!! We took the high speed train so that it would be a three and a half hour ride as opposed to a five hour ride. On the train, there was a little boy who had never seen a white person before. Every time he looked at me, he started giggling hysterically, and during the last hour or so of the ride, his mother brought him over to me. He gave me a tomato :) So cute.

We got to Heijing just before noon on Saturday and took a 马车 (basically a horse and buggy) to the old town.  Heijing is called "the thousand year old city of salt." (I love the nicknames China comes up with for its cities and towns). Here are a few pictures:
Our hotel!
A tribute to the workers who carried the salt from the water
Our ride
With my roommate!

No comments:

Post a Comment